If the FCM-ECU software activates the brake for longer than necessary, the driver may react by applying additional braking. The resulting rapid deceleration of the vehicle can increase the risk of a rear-end collision.
Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) is recalling certain 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, Outlander Sport, 2018-2019 Eclipse Cross, and 2017-2018 Outlander vehicles equipped with a Forward Collision Mitigation (FCM) system that detects pedestrians. Due to incorrect software, the FCM-ECU (Electronic Control Unit) may apply braking for longer than needed, even after a pedestrian is no longer detected.
MMNA will notify owners, and dealers will reprogram the FCM-ECU software with updated software, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin October 16, 2018. Owners may contact MMNA customer service at 1-888-648-7820. MMNA's number for this recall is SR-18-007.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
September 21, 2018
|TSB Update and Adapter Cable Chart (PDF)
MUT3-SE Manual (PDF)
Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. offers Right-To-Repair(R2R) capability in accordance with national MOU(Memorandum of understanding) and J2534-1 Powertrain Control Module (PCM) re-flash capability in accordance with CARB & EPA regulations.
What is R2R (Right-To-Repair)?
Under the terms of R2R (Right-To-Repair), Mitsubishi Motors North America provides access to diagnostic information (MUT3-SE) for model year 2018 and newer vehicles. You must follow Mitsubishi Service Manual procedures for proper repair.
What is J2534-1?
J2534-1 is a Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standard that enables the use of a J2534-1 pass-thru device (available through Special Tool Manufacturers) and a personal computer to re-program a PCM with updated instructions, as well as perform other procedures on some PCMs. Mitsubishi Motors vehicles use re-flashable PCMs starting with the 1998 model year. Before attempting a re-flash of a Mitsubishi PCM, you must obtain a validated J2534-1 pass-thru device. In addition, you must only re-flash a Mitsubishi PCM when a specific Mitsubishi Motors Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) calls for it. All TSBs are available in the Service Information portion of this website. In some cases, re-flash procedures are accompanied by replacement of parts or other related procedures. Failure to follow these guidelines may result in an unsatisfactory repair.
There are two distinct families of PCMs, based on the communication protocol used for re-flashing. Each family of PCMs requires a specific software solution available on this website as follows:
- Legacy PCMs Refer to (Reprogramming System Identification Chart) for details (ISO9141) protocol for re-flash communication. A software application, Update Manager, is required to re-flash this type of PCM. Update Manager consists of 2 parts, Update Manager A & Update Manager B. Use Update Manager A to determine the current PCM instruction level (current flash level), known as ROM-ID. Then use Update Manager B to re-flash the PCM with re-flash files and other support files downloaded from this website. If installed for the first time, some K-Line PCM's require additional initialization procedures - for example, Immobilizer Key Code Transfer. To perform these initialization procedures, a MUT-III Special tool must be used. Please refer to the "Special Tool" section of this webpage for details.
- The latest technology PCMs Refer to (Reprogramming System Identification Chart) use CAN protocol for re-flash communication. In addition, some CAN-based PCMs require additional initialization procedures if installed in a vehicle for the first time, such as VIN writing, Variant Coding (programming specific vehicle attributes) and Immobilizer Key Code Transfer. All procedures are done using the MUT3-SE CAN Passthru application available for download from this website. Use MUT3-SE CAN Passthru to obtain the PCM Part number, VIN stored in the PCM (necessary before any other procedures). Then download additional software components and support files through MCDS Server to enable the MUT3-SE CAN Pass-Thru application to perform other procedures as needed
As stated in the J2534-1 section, Mitsubishi Motors authorizes a PCM re-flash to be applied only in the event that such a procedure is supported by a specific Mitsubishi Motors Technical Service Bulletin (TSB). Any PCM re-flash applied not in accordance with a TSB may result in an unsatisfactory repair.
- A Validated J2534-1 Pass-thru Device
Because J2534-1 is an SAE standard, in theory, any J2534-1 certified device should be able to be used to perform J2534-1 re-flashes. PCM initialization (required when replacing a Mitsubishi PCM) can be performed with the J2534-1 device with newer CAN equipped vehicles. Legacy K-line equipped vehicles will require the MUT-III Special tool to accomplish PCM initialization (See Special Tools section). For a chart of CAN and K-Line equipped vehicles, please refer to CAN/KLINE Chart. Several special tool manufacturers have J2534-1 pass-thru devices available for sale. Mitsubishi Motors testing to date has found that there are some differences between the available devices in the market. Therefore, Mitsubishi Motors can only recommend the use of devices that have been validated to work on Mitsubishi Motors vehicles with Update Manager and Pass-Thru CAN (Mitsubishi Motors software applications to perform PCM procedures using a J2534-1 pass-thru device).
Before using either Mitsubishi Motors J2534-1 software application, be sure to have a validated J2534-1 Pass Thru Device. Currently the Drewtech CarDAQ-Plus (with 1.9.38 drivers) and the BOSCH MVCI (with 220.127.116.11 drivers) have been validated with Mitsubishi Vehicles. For more information on these devices, please go to www.drewtech.com and www.boschdiagnostics.com.
Note: At this time, the Actia PassThru XS+ has not been validated with newer re-flashes.
- A Windows Based Personal Computer
A personal computer is required to host Update Manager, MUT3-SE CAN Passthru/R2R and connect to the J2534-1 Pass-thru Device. Requirements for the computer are as follows:
- For KLINE reflashes, the Update Managers A & B softwares are only supported in Windows 2000, Windows XP Pro + SP3, Windows 7 (32-bit) operating systems.
- For CAN reflashes, the MUT3-SE CAN Passthru/R2R software is supported in Windows 7 (32-bit) operating systems.
- For Windows 7 (32-bit), the MUT3-SE CAN Passthru software and Update Manager A & B requires temporary adjustment of the User Account Control Settings (UAC) to enable software activation.
- To change the UAC settings in Windows 7:
1. Open Control Panel. 2. Click on the User Accounts icon. 3. Click on the User Accounts icon. This is not the same icon clicked in the previous step. This icon will be smaller. 4. Click on Change User Account Control settings. 5. Remember your last setting for the slider bar and then move the slider thumb to Never notify. 6. Click OK to accept the changes and reboot the PC for changes to take effect. 7. After using the MU3-SE CAN PassThru/R2R software, return the UAC settings to your previous setting or set it to Default. Another reboot is required for changes to take effect.
- 256 megabytes of RAM (at least 256 megabytes recommended)
- An available serial port or USB connection.
- An internet connection
- Sufficient hard drive space to install Update Manager / MU3-SE CAN PassThru/R2R and store re-flash files & other support files (40 megabyte minimum).
- Pass-thru Device Adapter Cable
Some K-Line PCMs require a special Y-cable adapter to connect the 16 pin OBD-II data-link connector from the J2534-1 pass-thru device to both the Mitsubishi 12 or 13 pin proprietary connector & the on-board 16 pin data-link connector. This cable can be purchased through Bosch Automotive Service Solutions (Part number MIT47295). Refer to the Adapter Cable Chart to determine which vehicles require the adapter cable.
|Autel MF2534 Maxi Flash J-2534 Vci|
|Drew Tech Mongoose Pro USB to CAN ISO9141 Interface|
|Dearborn d-Bridge Adapter J2534 OBDII Engineering Tool|
|CarDAQ-M Auto Universal Diagnostic Scanner and Programming Tool VSI J2534|